Dry Eye Clinic
Dry eye is a very common condition that results from inadequate lubrication of the eye.
Abnormal or deficient tear quality and/or quantity can cause dry eye. Tears are made up of 3 layers: lipid, aqueous, and mucin. The meibomian gland in the eyelid produces the lipid layer – and its function decreases as we age. In addition to this, there are many other causes that may further aggrevate dry eye (eg. surgery, medication, hormonal change, medical diseases etc).
Dry eye may cause any one or combinations of the following symptoms which can severely affect the quality of your life:
- Foreign Body Sensation
- Gritty or sandy feeling
- Teary or watery
- Blurry Vision
- Heavy or tired eyes
- Light sensitivity
- Excessive blinking
Dry eyes are one of the most common conditions that can affect all of us - however, it is the most undertreated or ignored areas of ophthalmology.
At Uptown Eye Specialists – we approach dry eye with advanced diagnostics and personalized therapeutic care at our specialized medical offices - the Dry Eye Clinic.
At the Dry Eye Clinic, we know that dry eye is a multifactorial disease, therefore we offer a wide range of treatments that can be customized for your care. Our eye care professionals create an individualized treatment pathway and monitor progress by utilizing dry eye questionnaires and evaluation tools coupled with other diagnostic tests. Treatment can range from utilizing a device such as the iLux that will address your meibomian glands to help facilitate oil production to Platelet Rich Plasma, a natural treatment derived from your own blood.
To learn more about our Dry Eye Clinic, contact us.
Meibomian Gland Procedures
Your meibomian gland produces meibum, an oily substance that prevents the tear film of your eye from evaporating. Procedures include:
- Deep Gland Decompression (DGD): targeted manual compression of the meibomian gland to release meibum and facilitate oil production. (Recommended for mild to moderate dry eye)
- iLux®: a device that provides gentle simultaneous warning and compression of the meibomian gland to release meibum and facilitate durable oil production. (Recommended for mild to severe dry eye).
- UltraView DEL®: a specialized gentle laser that uniquely targets the meibomian gland with customized wavelengths of light (Recommended for moderate to severe dry eye).
Eye Surface Restoration
- Preservative-free artificial eye drops: An advanced preservative free lubrication which aims to hydrate and protect the ocular surface.
- Anti-inflammatory eye drops: commercial-grade, clinically proven topical medication aimed to address the inflammatory component of dry eye disease.
- Autologous serum: purely natural treatment derived from components of your own blood aimed at providing a purified lubrication combined with growth factors to promote healing.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP): a purely natural treatment derived from components of your own blood aimed at providing a purified and nutrient-rich lubrication combined with a myriad of growth factors and anti-inflammatory components for dry eye.